Wednesday, March 18, 2009

...I have a story to tell...


Aging gracefully group met today at 3.00 pm. There were 12 elderly individuals (ages 75- 100) who attended this one hour session.


The topic of discussion was Picture This.


Purpose:

1. To develop a climate for group interaction through self-disclosure.

2. To recognize the impact of positive life experiences.


Materials:

One photocpy of the illustration for each member, pencils, pens, markers, or crayons.


The outcomes with this session was very encouraging.

Members were taking turn to tell their own stories. They even describes their feelings about the depicted scenes and how these and other memorable moment have had significant impact on their lives.


Some words form the participants:

"It gives me the sense of feeling acceptance because nobody judges me of my weakness."

"Now, I understand the power of sharing and listening to others' experiences."

"Thank you for having this "down to earth" session, it makes me "alive as I recalled my own life."

"Each person is unique and the each person's story is powerful."

"When will be the next session, I enjoy this it, it empowers me to appreciate my daily life."

"I always enjoy and love to share and listen to others' experiences.


No comments: