Saturday, October 18, 2008

"I am alone but not lonely"

God's grace may empower us to act with more generosity than we ever dreamed would be possible when responding alone.

Often I heard an elderly individual said, "I feel alone?" Then I normally proceed to listen and to feel the feeling in her/him.

Once an 88 old woman told me, "I am alone but not lonely." I requested her to share with me her interpretation of alone. She said, "yes physically I am alone but there are always people around this building. She further explained, "a person can be surrounded with people but he/she still feels lonely. "I am in solitude with my God even though I am alone." This woman taught me a new way of looking at life.

Reflection......
"Be still, and know that I am God!" (Psalm 46:10).

  • Am I confortable in silence? What are the effects of solitude in me?
  • If I am uncomfortable in silence, what can I do to address the cause of my discomfort?
  • What are my memories of times of stillness in my life?
  • Whatimages of God have come to me at times whe I have been still?

Finding God in Each Moment, (Smith & Merz, 2006).

No comments: