Friday, August 15, 2008

"...their contributions toward this success will be treasured and applied as I continue to work with the elderly population.

December 19, 2007
I successfully defended my Doctoral Dissertation-Loneliness and Lived Experiences of Elderly Individuals Living Independently: Hermeneutic Phenomenological Approach- at the University of Rochester, New York. This dissertation was specially dedicated to those persons mentioned below. http://www.rochester.edu/warner/newsevents/2008/05/slides.html
Dedication
While my father was ailing with liver cancer, he knew that I was doing research on the topic of loneliness and elderly individuals. Two days before he died, he echoed this inspiring statement to me. He said, “You need to accomplish this research.” My father’s words affirmed my choice of topic. So I give this special dedication and thank you- Kotohuadan- to my late father Nicholas Abas Maginjang and also a very special dedication to my mother Monica Tati Tomoh, who at this moment is still battling with sickness as well. Ina (Mother), thank you for your encouragement and daily prayers that you have offered for me and for the fulfillment of your dream to see the accomplishment of this work.

This dissertation is also dedicated to the friendship and memory of Dr. Leo Yballe, a professor at the School of Management in Nazareth College, Rochester New York. Leo who was the one who encouraged me to pursue with this research and, also assured me that this research would bring new insights/benefit to the caregivers of Borneo Island. Leo died (May 21, 2007) in a motorcycle accident while visiting his family in Cebu, Philippines. Leo lived his life well, acting conscientiously upon his spiritual beliefs by assisting both friends and strangers in need.

Finally this dissertation is also dedicated to the late Dr. Gerald Rubenstein, who was a mentor, supervisor, and a friend. Dr.Gerald Rubenstein, also known as Jerry, inspired me to pursue my doctoral dissertation on the topic of loneliness and elderly individuals. While writing this dissertation, Dr. Gerald’s untiring encouragement always echoed in my ears and this gave me the ongoing motivation to complete the race.

These three beloved people mentioned above were unable to see the fruit of this labor, which they had planted, trimmed, watered, and nurtured. Nonetheless, their contributions toward this success will be treasured and applied as I continue to work with the elderly population.







No comments: